DrumBurp has already fulfilled most of my goals for a quick and simple editor for drum tabs. One of my pie-in-the-sky wishes was for DB to play back the music through MIDI, and that’s worked out nicely. The other “wouldn’t it be nice if…” feature that I’d love to have is the ability to create real music notation from DB. Well, I’ve been busy…
So I finally found some time to package up and release the latest changes to DrumBurp. I’ve removed a couple of irritating minor bugs, and greatly improved two parts of the GUI that have been bugging me for ages:
- A better interface for choosing alternate repeat number markings. Previously, a text box was used to enter anything you wanted; this was fine, except that the MIDI playback expects the repeat markings to be in a definite (undocumented!) format. Now you can only choose valid repeat markings, and they’re a lot easier to choose with the GUI too.
- A much better method for adding repeated notes. I’m stoked about this, I think I’ll probably record a video tutorial sometime soon. Instead of having to enter the repeat interval and the number of repeats you want, you now just point and click: select the note you want to repeat, point where you want the first repeat to be, then point to where you want the last repeat to be. The new notes that will be added appear in a nice blue colour while you’re doing this. It looks awesome!
So, nothing major, but some serious stuff had to happen under the hood to make this work, especially the repeated notes interface. Hope you folks enjoy it.
I’ve spent a big chunk of this weekend working on DrumBurp; a few features are going in which will mean I should be looking at releasing v0.6 soon. Continue reading
This site went a bit quiet during the 2nd half of 2011. I haven’t given up on DrumBurp – in fact, quite the opposite: I aim to release a new version in the next few days.
One of my original reasons for writing DrumBurp was to have a drum tab editor which is genuinely cross-platform, and in particular that would work on both Windows and Linux. After setting such lofty goals, I then completely ignored them by only developing and releasing DrumBurp for Windows for the first 8 months or so. All that just changed though.
After a few months of inactivity, things have been busy with DrumBurp.
So things have been pretty quiet with DrumBurp for a while, but here’s a version with what I’ve managed to get done recently. Continue reading
I’ve made version 0.2 of DrumBurp available for download. Changes include:
- High resolution printing and PDF export. A wider range of available paper sizes.
- Better handling of changes to measure counts: changing the count now moves the notes to the appropriate place.
- DrumBurp will open files passed to it, so you can double-click to open .brp files in Windows.
- Minor bug fixes:
- Undo of ‘remove section end’ operation now gets section titles in the right place.
- Changing fonts also changes spacing and positioning correctly.
- More accurate ‘fit to page’ option.
- Setting alternate endings works correctly.
Please give DrumBurp a whirl, and let me know how you get on!